Monday, October 12, 2015

October 12, 2015 "There's more to life than sports"



This week has been amazing!! 
We were super busy since transfers are getting closer and closer and we just don't want to procrastinate anything.  I had some great experiences this week and one of those was seeing how amazing the youth are in the church!  Since we are held to a lot of restrictions we always need a member with us in Joburg.  We couldn't seem to find anyone that would come with us then I remembered a young priest named Justice.  I didn't know him very well but we called him and he readily agreed to come with us to teach.  When we went to pick him up he was waiting for us with the biggest smile on his face and a Book of Mormon in his hand!  As he jumped in the car he was so excited he sat in the middle seat with his head right in between mine and my comps.  He mentioned that this was the first time that he has come out with the missionaries and that he could hardly wait.  As we got to our first lesson which we taught in a library on the kiddy table in the corner I could see his excitement grow even more.  As we sat down and started the lesson he was one of the first to teach!! He testified of the truthfulness of the gospel and the Book of Mormon.  I have heard many testimonies and there are some people that just open their mouths to speak and the spirit hits you.  He is one of those people and not only could I feel it but the investigator we were teaching surely could as well!  As we walked out we talked about the lesson and he was just amazed how strongly he could feel the spirit.  I wish I was more like Justice as a teenager.  He knows what is true and not only does he profess to believe it but he lives it.  I later on asked him what it was like to live in Hillbrow (Which is like the Compton of SA).  As he thought about it his countenance changed and in a saddened voice he said "My man... The temptation is unreal... But luckily for me I have the gospel."  I then realized how much he relied on the gospel as a 16 year old.  I think for me that was the last thing on my mind at that age...  Justice has faith as his anchor and I had sports.  I think that is why I went through my concussion problems because the Lord needed to show me their was more to life than sports.

I think all of us no matter what age we are can learn a lot from Justice's example.  If your anchor is in anything other than faith in Jesus Christ it will only bring you worldly happiness. If you anchor is in Christ then you will have peace... Even if you live in Hillbrow.

Anyways work in Johannesburg is shooting up since we have been there!! We had 11 investigators at church and we should have around 10 baptisms before the end of the year!!!  We have some sweet investigators.  One is Mcolisi (pronounced mmmm with a click.   To do the click put your tongue right behind your teeth and press down. then the rest is how it is spelt)  he goes to a university in Joburg called Wits and is going to be a teacher.  He is so intellegent and loves the gospel!  He lives right next to the temple and so we actually teach him on the temple grounds! It is amazing....  He will be baptized on October 25th. We are also teaching three siblings Jetro, Ntando, and Angelica.  It is cool how we started teaching them.  Their brother just recently left on a mission and right after they felt they should start attending church.  As you can see there are some unimaginable blessings for going on mission.  They are on date for the 11th of November. 

Funny story for the week! It was at night and we just got done talking with president and when we got in the flat and like ten minutes later I heard my comp say "Man can't you see president's Bath?" I was so confused so I said "you see him in the bath??" and he responded "Yes! Look at his arms!" I then said "NO MAN! I'm not a peeping tom!"  Then we both realized we weren't understanding one another.  He was saying president was buff.... hahah so I thought he was this creep looking at him through his window but it turns out he was just commenting on his chiseled arms haha. We laughed for a good 15 minutes

Well Life is good.  I love you all.  I don't really miss any of you... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment