Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5, 2014

All
It was great to hear from Jon after not receiving an email last week.  Apparently last Monday, was some type of holiday in SA.  Everything was closed and they were not able to access email.  He continues to do well.  Unfortunately he fails to answer most the questions we ask.  I think he takes after me in the area.  I had two "small-world" experiences this past week with ties to Jon's mission.

1 - I am serving in the 3rd ward right now and one of the counselors in the bishopric (he is a doctor) asked how Jon was doing.  As we were talking, we came to the realization that the counselor worked on Jon's companion due to a rugby injury when he was here in SL playing in a rugby tournament.  If you don't remember, his companion played for the Zimbabwe national rugby team.  

2 - The new Temple Square Mission President is President Poulsen.  He was a previous mission president in Joberg.  He came to our house prior to Jon leaving to talk to us about SA.  He is a wonderful man.  I was invited to attend a luncheon where he was speaking.  At the luncheon, I met a sister missionary from Denmark.  She knew Jon's MTC companion - who is from Denmark.  

I know these are trivial experiences, but it's fun to make any connection to the mission.  Jon is in good hands with all those he is serving with.  He is being blessed.  Thanks for your support.  

Family, hows it guys? Things seem to be going really well back at home! Things are going great here as well! My new companion Elder Smith is an amazing missionary. He is almost done and is very obedient and loves to work hard! We worked so hard this week and it was way fun! When we weren't teaching lessons we were finding.  Whether it was knocking on doors or walking around town and starting conversations with random people.  Doing this I have realized how much mission has done for me... Before mission I couldn't even ask for a to-go-box at a restaurant and now I really don't have a problem walking up to people and tell them that the gospel can change their life.  We have two new solid investigators that I am very excited about.  Their names are Portipher and Andrew.  They are both on date for June 8th, which might be my last week in Krugersdorp.  I hope that we can baptize them by then.  Temwa is doing well but still no job and still no Emmie.  I am getting a little worried about her though because the trials she is going through could distance her from the gospel and I just pray that it doesn't.  Mission is the hardest thing that I have ever done and yet it is the most amazing thing that I have ever done.  My life will never be the same after these two years and that is a blessing because I really don't want to be the selfish egotistical guy I was before mission.  I am now starting to see what the Savior and my Heavenly Father have in store for me.  At times I feel as if I don't deserve the blessings I get but then I remember that because of the atonement I can be forgiven and live the life I know I am supposed to live.  Love you guys and I can feel your prayers in my life. 
Much Love, Elder Olson
These pictures were sent to Suzi from the gentleman in the pictures with Jon.  He be-friended her in Facebook.  Since Jon doesn't send too many pictures, it's nice to receive these.  I believe the 3rd picture is of Jon's new companion.  
Thanks


No comments:

Post a Comment