Monday, March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014 "Safari"




All
We hope you are doing well.  Jon went on a safari today and so he ended up emailing much later than normal so we had a little “back-and-forth” with him.  He is doing great and is happy.  Attached are a few pictures from the safari.
Thanks for all your love and support.

I just got back from a safari so we did emailing later! 
Shame about the car though!! At least Abe is ok though.  I hope all is well, but before I answer questions I want to tell you a story.  So we were at new missionary orientation and we were talking about the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father and if we have experienced any on mission yet.  I felt prompted that I should share a story that happened to me.  So this was my second week out and we were doing a lot of tracting.  We did about three hours a day for about three days.  Half way through the second day I became discouraged so I started pouring my heart out to my Heavenly Father in personal prayer.  I was praying that our hard work would be noticed and if we could please receive an investigator.  I prayed and prayed and still no one let us in their gates.  This was the third day and we only had appointments left for the day and I knew it would be pretty much impossible for us to get an investigator.  However I still prayed for one.  Our last appointment of the day was with a recent convert and when I walked in I saw that he had a friend with him.  Right away I directed my attention to him we started teaching him the restoration of the gospel.  He has been coming to church and meeting with us.  When I told this it brought both me and President Omer to tears.  The spirit was so strong in the room.  At that moment I knew that I am not a good missionary. I have nothing to do with my success but the spirit is the reason for all of my success.  I also learned the lord will bless us.  He may not bless us right away but he will ALWAYS bless us for hard work and obedience.

This week was great!! I am working hard and I feel like that I don't even need anymore training! We keep teaching the investigators that we have they are all progressing. Themwa came to church this week and really enjoyed it, which made me so happy! I experienced my first fast and testimony meeting and wow it was powerful. There was a line of people waiting to bare their testimony! I am learning a little bit of Afrikaans but not a lot.  Just enough to say hi and how are you.  My goal this week and what I will be praying for is to find a father and family.  Or even a strong young man that could be a great leader and priesthood holder.  In Krugersdorp we need strong roots (priesthood holders) so the branches don’t break.  So it is a missionary’s responsibility to make that happen.  I want to stay in this area as long as possible. I want to see the difference in the ward.  We are already starting to see it but I know we can double the progress. 
I got a haircut.  It has been raining here the past few days. Usually it just rains at night but it has during the days constantly. 
I usually don’t take my camera into the hood but I will one day! Will you guys pray for peter he is one of my investigators.  He can’t get baptized unless he gets his passport renewed but he cant afford it.  The lord will provide a way with prayer and faith though. 
This is from our car.  (Picture of lions)  It was scary but so cool at the same time. They are huge animals.  I’m going to make sure I have one as a pet during the millennium.




Tell Mimi good luck with her surgery and that I miss her and will be praying for her!! Tell President Dunn and Sister Dunn hello for me and they can email me if they would like!
(Here is a letter from him mission president.)

Dear Elder Olson,

I am so glad that you are reading and drawing strength from the Book of Mormon. The Book is such a powerful witness of the Savior and provides such clarity to the principles of the Gospel. You mentioned getting tired. This work is tiring and demands a great deal from those who are willing to do it with faith. In the end "missonary tired" is a great kind of tired to be feeling. I can tell you have come here to "be about your Father's business." Thank you for having that commitment to the work! President Omer

No comments:

Post a Comment